Can My Dog Eat Grapes or Raisins?
Unless you want to rush your dog to the emergency room afterwards, you should absolutely not let your dog eat any grapes or raisins. That's because grapes, and as such, their dried form, raisins, are extremely poisonous for your canine best friend.
According to animal health experts, grapes/raisins are extremely harmful to dogs. However, despite grape/raisins being potentially fatal for them, dogs will sometimes eat grapes and other foods they shouldn’t. These include fruit seeds and their cores, as well as chocolate.
Can a Single Grape Kill a Dog?
You might be thinking, surely maybe a bunch of grapes is what's lethal, but can a single grape kill a dog? The answer is a resounding, yes!
As unbelievable as it might sound, a single grape is poisonous to your dog-it can easily lead to its death. Interestingly, however, researchers are yet to find out what exactly it is about grapes that makes them so lethal to dogs.
Apparently though, when it comes to the effect of grapes and raisins on dogs, breed, size, health and age, count. For example, eating a grape/raisin is more dangerous for a Chihuahua than it would be for a Great Dane. While the Chihuahua might probably die from eating a grape, a Great Dane, on the other hand, would most probably only fall sick.
What Happens If My Dog Eats a Grape?
Given the lethal effect a single grape might have on your dog, it is most advisable to keep grapes out of its reach. However, imperfect as life is, what happens if my dog eats a grape, you ask?
In cases where your dog does eat a grape or grapes without your knowledge or awareness that it has done so, then we recommend seeing whether it is exhibiting any of the following symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, loss of appetite and, at worst, kidney failure.
Vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and kidney failure are often symptoms a dog that has eaten a grape will exhibit if urgent action is not taken. How soon your dog will eventually get sick will depend on the dog’s breed, size, health, and age. Usually, vomiting often starts within 24 to 48 hours of your dog eating a grape.
However, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and kidney failure are not the only symptoms your dog will exhibit after eating a grape/raisin. Other symptoms it might exhibit include: weakness, abdominal pain, dehydration, increased thirst and urinating. Some dogs will, however, not exhibit any symptoms at all, other than those of acute kidney failure.
What Do I Do If My Dog Eats a Grape?
If your dog happens to eat the grape in your sight, then our advice is for you to take immediate action- i.e. rush your dog to the emergency room as soon as you possibly can. Alternatively, urgently contact a vet who is familiar with the dog's medical history and ask for advice as to the best course of action.
But what if your dog should eat a grape without you being aware that it has done so? If you strongly believe your dog has eaten a grape, then aside from rushing your dog to the emergency room as urgently as you can, or contacting a vet who is familiar with the dog's medical history, the next best thing would be to induce the dog to vomit. Three-percent hydrogen peroxide solution is recommended in such situations, though experts advise doing so in the presence or under the supervision of a veterinarian.
Otherwise, you can also call a pet poison control hotline such as that of the ASPCA for expert advice as to how best to proceed. We, at Cornucopia Pet Foods, advise that when you call, such information as your dog's weight, health history, what exactly you suspect your dog ate, how much of it and when, be readily available.
Of course, the best course of action is to swiftly take your dog to an animal medical facility. There, instead of inducing vomiting, qualified personnel will be able to administer IV fluids and gastro protectants that will wash out toxins from the dog's digestive system. Sometimes this can actually save its life.